Wednesday, September 19, 2007

my humble abode (part 1): what a view.



This will be the first post in a gripping series that will give you an insight into the paradise that is currently my home.

My apartment complex has many luxurious features that came as standard, such as the wonderful 'sun deck'. Some may see it merely as a 'flat roof with access' - but here in Kenya, one must always look beyond the 'surface' and employ the imagination. Atop my 'sun deck' one is quickly confronted with the realisation that I in fact live on the door step of Kibera. For those of you not in 'the know' Kibera is the largest slum in Kenya (and possibly the third largest in Africa) with a population of approximately 700,000 people. HIV/AIDs is rampant there, some 'smart peoples' actually claim that 1/5th of the 2.2m (or so) people living with HIV/AID in Kenya, are located in Kibera. Not the nicest place in the world.

On first arrival, I found my predicament shocking and rather worrying.. Is this a secure place to live? Do all those dogs have rabies? Will I be able to purchase an English newspaper? ... Now, after a month of intense 'Africanisation', I've come to understand that's just how it is - there is no slow gradual decline from the 'nice bits' to the 'bad bits', there is no perimeter fence or dividing walls, absolute poverty lives right along side absolute wealth - deal with it. So i am.

Next: inside the walls.

Note: click on the photo to see the uncropped full size view.

3 comments:

rebecca said...

yeah but what are you having for breakfast?

Caitie said...

I saw that! Grim isn't it. So sad

(ps: found you!)

Anonymous said...

Good words.